Free Training Resources
Live Virtual Training Sessions
The CDA offers 45-minute live virtual training sessions to the University community on the second Wednesday of each month at 2:00 p.m. and at other times upon request. The topic changes monthly.
Building accessibility into projects and software procurement
January 11, 2023 from 2-2:45 p.m.
Presenter: Pat Kogos, Director, Digital Accessibility
CDA training videos
Learn more about digital accessibility by watching one of the training videos created by the CDA. Contact us to schedule a meeting or request custom training.
- Intro to Digital Accessibility at University of Chicago (14:51)
- Intro to Digital Accessibility for Content Creators (21:40)
- Accessibility for Designers and Developers (19:36)
- Intro to Accessible HTML (21:10) – more technical than “Accessibility for Designers and Developers” with HTML examples
- Introduction to ARIA (39:21)
- Assessing Your Website for Accessibility (45:38)
- Live Captioning in Zoom Class Meetings (19:17)
GAAD 2022 Videos
Thursday, May 19, was the 11th annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), focusing on digital equality for the one billion people in the world living with a disability. Creating an accessible digital environment supports the full participation of all members of the campus community in the academic, research, and work life of the University.
Below are recordings of GAAD virtual sessions for the University of Chicago community hosted by the Center for Digital Accessibility.
Assistive Technology (AT) Demonstration
- GAAD 2022: Assistive Tech Demo (55:34)
The Digital Accessible Experience (DAX) team from The Chicago Lighthouse demonstrates AT devices and software used by people with disabilities.
CDA Lightning Talks (CNet login required)
- Siteimprove – Accessibility Education Community Archive
- 3Play Media Resources
- Deque – Introduction to Screen Readers (YouTube, 5:12)
- Daisy Consortium webinar series on accessible publishing and reading
- Tableau – Building accessible dashboards in Tableau
LinkedIn Learning videos
The following courses are available to the UChicago community. You must log in with your CNet ID to gain access.
- Accessibility for Web Design
- Advanced Accessible PDFs
- Creating Accessible Documents in Microsoft Office
- Creating Accessible PDFs
- ePub Accessibility using InDesign
- Teaching Techniques: Making Accessible Learning
- UX Foundations: Accessibility Online Class
An Event Apart videos
An Event Apart is a leading web design/front-end conference for mobile/UX/product designers & developers focusing on web and mobile design, best practices, and creative inspiration.
- Inclusive, by Design
- Making Motion Inclusive
- Inclusive UX: Techniques for Everyone
- Where Accessibility Lives
Other online courses
- Introduction to Web Accessibility from W3C
- estimated time to completion 16-20 hours
- option to pay to receive a certificate of completion
- Microsoft accessibility video training
- Brief (<5 minutes each) video lessons for Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
- U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights digital accessibility video series