Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2023The twelfth annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) promotes talking, thinking, and learning about digital access and inclusion. Celebrate GAAD with us throughout May
Center for Digital Accessibility
The Center for Digital Accessibility is here to help you make your content available to everyone.
What is digital accessibility?
Digital accessibility is the ability of a website, mobile application or digital content to be easily navigated and understood by a wide range of users, including those users who have visual, auditory, motor or cognitive disabilities.
The University uses the international standards of the World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1, Level AA.
Why is digital accessibility important?
- The University of Chicago is committed to providing an accessible, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Maintaining accessible digital assets enables users of all backgrounds and abilities to have a better user experience.
- Our digital representation online should reflect our academic excellence.
- Creating websites and content that are accessible strengthens the University’s compliance regarding accessibility laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and reduces our risk.
- 1 in 4 adults in the U.S. lives with a disability, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is enhanced when digital accessibility guidelines have been followed.
How does accessibility impact users?
The Center provides digital accessibility consulting, assessment and training for students, faculty, other academic appointees, staff and postdoctoral researchers at UChicago. It provides the following services upon request. Contact Us for more information.
- Consultation relating to digital accessibility guidelines and implementation
- Direct assistance with applications and procurement-brokered website projects
- Support for website accessibility testing
- Software tools and resources for evaluation
- Access to Siteimprove and Equidox enterprise tools
- Custom training and resource development on best practices for digital accessibility
- Training videos to help you learn more about digital accessibility