The University is piloting Equidox, a cloud-based PDF remediation software solution that helps users convert inaccessible PDFs into accessible PDF, HTML, and EPUB 2 formats. Your content team can use Equidox via the browser, from any major platform, without needing a license for Acrobat Pro to:
- Remediate documents more quickly and simply than remediating with Acrobat Pro
- Take advantage of Smart Detection features and machine learning to automatically detect and tag certain content types, such as tables and lists
- Create accessible files without having access to source documents (although remediation is easier if the source documents were created in an accessible way)
This platform is not intended for documents that contain restricted data, as defined by the University’s Data Classification Guidelines. Any questions about sensitive or restricted data should be directed to email@example.com.
Access to Equidox is managed by the Center for Digital Accessibility. To request access, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
UChicago Equidox users have access to a number of tutorials that cover how to use the tool.
- Equidox Introductory Training (CNet login required)
- Equidox Advanced Features Training (CNet login required)
- Equidox Training Videos (YouTube channel) collection of brief how-to videos on individual features
- Equidox Webinar Videos archive of 30 minute webinar sessions about the platform and best practices for PDF remediation
- Equidox Software Training and Support web-based resources, including the User Guide
PDF Remediation Services
The University has established a Master Services Agreement with Equidox to provide document remediation services for University departments. Email Pat Needles (email@example.com) to receive a quote for your PDF remediation project. Include the following:
- For a few, short documents: Add as attachments
- For several or large documents: Provide links to a file share location
- Allow 7 to 10 weekdays for standard turnaround
- Rush jobs may be possible, additional fees may apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need assistance.