Surveys & Forms
When creating surveys, follow the accessibility guidelines for content creators and consult the following resources:
- Qualtrics Survey Accessibility – Build accessible surveys using accessible question types and themes. Check for accessibility compliance using ExpertReview.
- Qualtrics Simple Layout – Using the Simple Layout is a great place to start creating an accessible survey.
Label all fields
All form fields must have a meaningful label. In addition, to be fully accessible, labels must:
- Be programmatically associated with their field.
- Be visible at all times.
- Be in close proximity to their field.
Provide clear instructions
To help users avoid making errors before they happen, it is important that clear instructions are provided to users. When writing instructions:
- Clearly communicate a field’s limitations (i.e. required formatting, character limits, etc.).
- Clearly identify required form fields.
- Ensure all instructions are available to assistive technologies.
Perform effective validation
Handling errors is an important part of form accessibility. When validating a form, be sure to:
- Communicate validation errors that prevent form submission.
- Communicate a successful submission.
- Display clear error messages in context and provide specific instructions on how to fix the error.
- Style error messages differently from regular labels so they can be easily identified.
- Ensure all error messages are visible and available to assistive technologies.