Ensure keyboard a11y
- Some users can’t or don’t use a mouse, so all interactive elements must be reachable and actionable via keyboard only.
- There must be a visible focus indicator to show where a user is when using a keyboard to navigate.
- The order when using a keyboard for navigation should match the visual order.
- Sufficient color contrast must exist for text and interactive elements against the background.
- Use a color contrast checker.
- Color alone should not be used to convey meaning
- Use secondary indicators like labels or symbols in addition to color in charts, graphs, etc.
Include appropriate alternative text for all non-decorative images
- Embed your accessible dashboard on an accessible webpage
- Provide a link to underlying data and a text interpretation if the dashboard has a11y challenges. The text summary should convey the same insights as the visuals. The summary needs to be updated whenever the data changes significantly.
- Include titles and captions for each chart