Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2022
Thursday, May 19, was the 11th annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), focusing on digital equality for the one billion people in the world living with a disability. Creating an accessible digital environment supports the full participation of all members of the campus community in the academic, research, and work life of the University.
The Center for Digital Accessibility hosted a series of virtual sessions for the University of Chicago community.
Assistive Technology (AT) Demonstration
The Digital Accessible Experience (DAX) team from The Chicago Lighthouse demonstrates AT devices and software used by people with disabilities.
Meet the UChicago Center for Digital Accessibility (CDA) and Equal Opportunity Programs (EOP) teams
- Meet the CDA and EOP teams (8:13) – CNet login required
The CDA and EOP teams both support the University’s Digital Accessibility Policy. Learn more about the people involved and their roles in digital accessibility.
- Pat Kogos, Director, Digital Accessibility
- Jack Auses, Accessible Web Technology Specialist
- Emily Baker, Accessible Technology Specialist
- Thalia Kapica, Senior Accessible Web Technology Specialist
- Scott Velasquez, Executive Director for Equal Opportunity & Access
- Marquetta Scott, Director of Access UChicago
Digital accessibility legal landscape
Discussion of the legal framework underlying digital accessibility, and recent legal challenges.
Presenter: Liz Shanin, Senior Associate General Counsel
Accessibility checkers in software
- Accessibility checkers in commonly used software (13:28) – CNet login required
Many software programs offer accessibility checkers, including Canvas, Word, and PowerPoint. Join us as we provide a quick guide about how to find and use them.
Presenter: Emily Baker, Accessible Technology Specialist
Website assessment methods
- Website assessment methods (13:16) – CNet login required
Websites must be assessed using automated and manual testing methods. Learn more about:
- How to request access to Siteimprove for public-facing sites
- Using browser tools for development work
- Manual testing methods
Presenters: Jack Auses, Accessible Web Technology Specialist; Thalia Kapica, Senior Accessible Web Technology Specialist
Pat Kogos, Director, Digital Accessibility